Pistol Permits-Temporary 60-Day Permit
Click here for the current APPLICATION PACKET for a Temporary Pistol Permit. Applications are currently accepted by appointment only, see below. Please read the entire page. Please note that our current packet revision date is 2022-12-01 and the current State application form DPS-799-C has the revision date 08/04/2022 in the bottom left corner.
Your application packet (with notarized state form), listed documentation, fee to the Town and State Portal registration document must be complete at the time of your appointment or we will need to reschedule you. Please review BELOW and the ENTIRE PACKET (link above) prior to contacting us to make an appointment. You will not receive the State portal link and required service code until you receive our confirmation email response to your email requesting an appointment (follow instructions below).
IF YOU WOULD LIKE AN APPOINTMENT:
- Email the Records Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email for yourself only. If you have a spouse, adult child, etc., wishing to make an appointment, s/he should send an email separately and be his/her own point of contact, preferably from his/her own personal email.
- Do not email your application or other documents at this time. You will bring these to your appointment.
- Enter "Pistol Permit - LAST NAME, FIRST INITIAL" in the subject line.
- In the body of your email message, PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION (1-20) so we may prepare your application/investigation file (you may wish to copy and paste the table into the body of your email):
FULL legal name (include your full middle name if you have one or indicate “no middle name”)
AKAs: Any/all other names you have been known by (AKAs)
Don't skip-- indicate "NO AKAs" if you have none. AKAs INCLUDE maiden name, previous married name, using middle name as first name, any name previous to name change other than when an infant/young child (adoption), different spelling of name used, etc. Please provide ALL AKAs; you will also need to provide them on the State application form and in the State portal registration. Please be consistent. You do not need to provide a shortened version of the beginning of your name that has no spelling change. For example, you do not need to provide "Chris" for Christopher. You WOULD need to provide "Cris, Kris, or Topher" if used.
Date of Birth
Telephone numbers (s)
Current address of residence
How long have you lived at above address?
Place of birth (city/town, state and country if not US)
If you were not born in the US, are you a resident alien or US Citizen? (indicate which)
Occupation/job (this will appear on your permit)
Employer (or school, if student is your occupation)
Address from which you work/study (if working from home remotely, indicate if this is temporary or permanent. Also provide employer’s address if you have ever worked on-site.)
Have you ever been convicted of a crime (including DUI)?
Have you been the subject of a protective or restraining order (not the protected party)?
Is there any other relevant information you would like to provide?
WHAT TO EXPECT:
CURRENT APPOINTMENT LIST STATUS: 1 WEEK OR LESS
- After we receive your initial email, we will add you to the appointment contact list.
- You should receive a confirmation within three (3) work days.
- When you do receive the confirmation email, you may be asked for additional information. Please reply at your earliest convenience. Note: this email will most likely come directly from "Nicole Sisk" or "Mark Edwards." Check your spam folder if you do not receive that confirmation reply within THREE days.
- THIS CONFIRMATION EMAIL WILL ALSO HAVE IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PRE-REGISTERING AND PAYING THE STATE AND FEDERAL FEES ON THE STATE'S PORTAL PRIOR TO YOUR INTAKE APPOINTMENT. YOU MUST BRING THE PRINTED APPLICANT TRACKING SHEET WITH YOU TO YOUR APPOINTMENT (IT HAS A BARCODE AND UNIQUE TRACKING NUMBER). YOU MUST HAVE A PRINTED COPY TO ACCOMPANY YOUR FINGERPRINT CARD (WE CANNOT DO THIS FROM AN IMAGE ON YOUR PHONE). CHECK THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL YOU RECEIVE FROM US FOR BOTH THE WEBSITE LINK AND THE CODE YOU WILL NEED FOR PRE-REGISTERING.
- At that point, you will then WAIT TO BE CONTACTED via TELEPHONE OR EMAIL to set up the appointment date and time (emails will come from our Community Services Officer "Ball, Jameson"). Applicants are contacted for appointment scheduling in the order in which we received your request.
- You must have pre-registered and paid on the State's website and printed the Applicant Tracking Sheet prior to your appointment.
- You must have the completed packet, all documentation/ID, the completed and notarized State form and Town of Simsbury $70.00 fee ready at the time of your appointment or you will be rescheduled.
- Reminder: As indicated on page two in the application packet, your check (or money order) to the Town of Simsbury in the amount of $70.00 is held until your temporary permit is ISSUED. (Returned to you if permit is denied.)
- Valid permit period begins on date issued, not the application date.
- When issued, your temporary sixty day (non-renewable) permit is MAILED to you at the Simsbury/West Simsbury/Tariffville/Weatogue address we have on file. An instruction page from the State will be enclosed with the permit, explaining the next step to obtaining your renewable State permit within the sixty (60) days your temporary permit is valid.
- Please wait eight (8) weeks from your appointment date before inquiring about status. Contact the RECORDS DIVISION at 860-658-3125 regarding status inquiries (please do not contact the officer who took your fingerprints and paperwork; the Records Division conducts the background investigation and processing of your application).
- IF YOU MOVE OUT OF SIMSBURY PRIOR TO THE PERMIT BEING ISSUED, CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY AT 860-658-3125.
As of July 16th, 2021, the State switched to an online portal where you must first register for fingerprinting and pay the State fee(s) prior to your appointment. You will PRINT a confirmation that you must bring with you to your appointment. We will not be able to process your fingerprints and application without it and we will not be able to send a payment to the State with your fingerprints. Your application packet (with notarized state form), listed documentation and fee to the Town must be complete at the time of your appointment or we will need to reschedule you. Please review the ENTIRE PACKET prior to contacting us to make an appointment. If you would like a paper application mailed to you,contact us and we will mail one to you as soon as possible (860-658-3125 or email@example.com; "Requesting Application Via Mail" as subject). You may also pick up a paper copy at the Police Department (Records or Dispatch).
You must be a current Simsbury resident at the time of application and at the time the permit is issued and must be able to provide valid proof (i.e., tax bill, utility bill-- not junk mail). If you have recently moved to, or within, town, please make certain you have changed your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles prior to your appointment. In Connecticut, you are required to do this within 48 hours of moving to a new address.
IF OBTAINING MONEY ORDER/BANK CHECK: The fee to the Town will be held until after your temporary permit is issued. A personal check is preferred, but if obtaining a bank check/money order, do not obtain too far in advance, as it may expire (even if no expiration is printed on it). It is preferable that you do not use a bank check or money order that might expire for the $70.00 fee to the Town of Simsbury. Note: Bank of America money orders state they expire in 90 days. Postal money orders do not expire. Ask the issuer about possible expiration prior to purchasing the check or money order. We recommend you do not purchase if it expires, especially within fewer than six months (180 days). If it has expired prior to our ability to deposit it at the time of permit issuance, you will be required to replace the check with a new, valid one.
General Information: In the State of Connecticut, you apply for your Temporary Permit in your town of residence as a pre-requisite for obtaining the State Permit. The Temporary Permit allows you to carry should you already possess a firearm, but it does not allow you to purchase a firearm.
This pertains to new permits only. Renewals are still done by mail. Contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit for the most up to date information. As of 7/29/2021, the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at the State Police Headquarters in Middletown is open to process new permits: Monday-Friday 8:30 AM - 4:15 PM, with extended hours on Tuesday until 7:00 PM. There are no permits issued on the weekends. We may not have the most up-to-date hours. Visit the State's website or call them at 860-685-8290 to be certain you have the most up-to-date information.
LINK to State Pistol Permit Information Regarding Renewals, Change of Address, etc.
LINK to Connecticut State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit